Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tutorial-Reviving Gel liners

So I've been swatching quite a bit for the last few days, but for the most part, I've been too lazy to blog about any of it for various reasons..with the main one being this:

My kitten lovingly likes to spend a good 5-10 minutes blocking my computer screen...and my laptop has no imaging programs for labeling ^^; (not to mention that my keyboard on that's a bit busted..and my desktop has some hardware issues as well...) There isn't a whole lot of swatching in this post as well, but at least there's pictures this time. YAY! So anyways, today I'll be teaching you how to revive a dried out gel liner (or change the consistency on your drier textured liners)

1. Before you begin, you will need the following items: your dried out gel liner, eye drops (the regular kind, for dry eyes--I am using Blink Tears in this tutorial, but Visine works quite well for this as well. DO NOT USE CONTACT SOLUTION. It won't hold up as well), something to mix with, and something to smooth your liner back down with. You can choose to use a toothpick to stir, or a spatula or small wax applicating stick, whatever you find. For the green liner, I used a toothpick to stir with and a brush to smooth it back down. For the blue-grey one I simply used a small stick.


If you are using a wax applicating stick, you may choose to break the stick in half, allowing to use the same stick to revive 2 liners.

2. Add 2-3 drops of your eye drops to the liner. You don't need a whole lot ofo this to revive your liner. If you find you need more later, you can add it in, but adding too much will cause your gel liner to lose its consistency, and your liner will not apply as nicely.



3. Start mixing. If you are using a toothpick, you will have to make sure to mash your liner well, breaking up any chunks.

When it is done, you should have a nice, creamy consistency:

Personally, I found it much easier to mix with the small wax applicator I was using..it took much longer for me to use a toothpick..but you use what you can ;)
4: Final step: pat your gel liner back down in its container, smoothing it over the best you can. You may want to clean up the edges and scrape off as much of the liner off your mixing tool as possible. There will still be a bunch of it stuck to the stick, but it's not a huge loss considering the fact that you're saving money by not having to buy a new liner.


Congratulations: your gel liner is now revived!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! This was so helpful. My L'Oreal H.I.P. Cream Liner dried out and I needed it for Disturbia at my recital. You just saved me $11. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eye drops!:D Thank you for the great tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! Is this a temporary fix or does it last?
    Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete